Monday, June 8, 2015

The Story of Double Woman Designs

The Story of Double Woman
 
I have always enjoyed the traditional story of Double Woman by the Lakota tribe of Native Americans to explain the feelings behind making a piece of beadwork. The story in itself has been an inspiration for many:

In the beginning Double Woman came to a Lakota woman and taught her the art of quillwork - as these designs progressed and European traders came with multi-colored glass beads, Double Woman continued to bring designs to particular women - to be used in beadwork as well as quillwork design. Double Woman came to the women and spoke to them in their dreams showing them designs and finished pieces to teach them this sacred art. From that day on these designs were considered to be " wakan" - very sacred. The pieces that are decorated with these designs - along with the outward beauty that they bear - carry an inner blessing from "WakanTanka" (The Great Mysterious) these pieces are made in a reverent - prayerful way - to bestow blessings on the wearer.
 This is a drawing done by my daughter - Double Woman whispering in the ear of her chosen woman.

I was blessed with the sacred name of Double Woman by a Shaman of the Ho-Chunk Tribe in Wisconsin. Because most of my designs came to me in the form of dreams not only of designs and finished pieces, but how to execute new methods of making a piece in ways that hadn't been done yet (to my knowledge). Most of my finished beadwork and designs have used the name of "Double Woman Designs". This is also the inspiration for my website (and Facebook) name of "Dreamer's Design Studio"

It is in this spirit that I bring you this book.  This blog isn't meant as a sales promo, I only add this because there are some who will be interested in it.  If you have any questions or any further information on the story of Double Woman, or if you would like to discuss beadwork (show us some pics of your own work!)  Make a comment & I'll grab my cup of coffee & we can hang out & discuss our work & our dreams!

(Immediate download)

Google Play Logo - BooksAmazon
 

No comments:

Post a Comment